AddThis

Share |

Monday, June 14, 2010

Is Biting the New Black? The Disappointing Lack of Originality in the Industry

Maybe it is just my age catching up with me but every time I turn on the TV or the radio I get deja vu. Every thing is now a remake, rendition, or rip-off of something else. Is creativity a thing of the past? Is everything old new again?

I know that the common response to these questions is that there is nothing new under the sun, that is is common for artists to play homage to the people who came before them or that remaking a film/TV show is a no-brainer because of the built-in fanbase, but I simply disagree. While borrowing from previous generations is common and to be expected, I see artists imitating other artists that have not even been "gone" that long. I also think that this constant recycling has made Hollywood become lazy and out of ideas. Which brings me to Exhibit A. I remember the first time I saw one of Nicki Minaj's youtube clips, I was shocked at the blatant Lil Kim swaggerjacking. It looked like it wasn't unnoticed by Miss Jones neither, and the two are now beefing big time. And the lack of originality is not just limited to rap. Yesterday I tweeted that Lady Gaga's recent video looks more like a montage of every video Madonna made from 1985-1996. Judge for yourself:











And just when I think that I've had my fill of nostalgia, I read that the remake of The Karate Kid starring Will Smith's son Jaden made a killing at the Box Office. Its competition? A remake of the A-Team. Sheesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment